ZIMSEC O Level Combined Science Notes: The enzyme amylase
- Energy in cells is obtained by breaking down food molecules during the respiration process.
- The chemical reactions involved are carried out by enzymes.
- Enzyme molecules also break down food molecules in the digestive system and carry out chemical reactions in the photosynthesis and gemination processes.
- Enzymes are important because they speed the rate f reactions.
- Catalyst-is any substance that speeds up the rate of reaction.
- A catalyst can be organic or inorganic.
- Catalysts do not take part in the reaction i.e. they are not changed chemically by the reaction.
- Enzymes like amylase are organic catalysts.
- Enzymes regulate metabolism.
- Metabolism-are all the combined functions and processes that take place in living organisms.
- Enzymes are protein molecules whose structure is complex and each enzyme can only catalyse one specific reaction.
- Amylase is an enzyme found in saliva and pancreatic juices.
- It converts starch into simple reducing sugars (maltose).
To access more topics go to the Combined Science Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.