Forces and reaction. i) A load resting on the ground. ii)A balanced lever
- These internal forces are known as stresses
- stress-forces that occur inside a material as a result of forces acting within it
- There are three types of stress
- Tensile stresses-is a result of stretching forces.
- They are created by forces trying to pull the material apart
- compressive stresses-are a result of forces acting in opposite direction with one another creating a squashing effect.
- They are produced by forces trying to compress material
- shear stresses- these are also known as twisting forces
- they are produced by equal and opposite forces which are not in line.
- They tend to make one part of the material slide over one another.
Load and shape
- when a load is applied to a material
- Stresses are produced
- Most times there is also a change of shape especially if the material is not rigid
To access more topics go to the Combined Science Notes page.