ZIMSEC O Level Combined Science Notes:Purification of copper using electrolysis
- The impure copper (blister copper) yielded from the converter
- Is then molded into thick sheets
- These sheets become positive plates i.e.
- they are connected on the positive side of a electrolytic cell
- The positive side are also known as anodes in an electrolytic cell
- A thin sheet if very pure copper is used as the cathode
- This is the negative side of the electrolytic cell
- The electrolyte (liquid) is copper sulphate solution
- A current is then passed through the cell
- Copper is transferred from the anode to the cathode
- Insoluble impurities from the anode form a sludge at the bottom of the cell
- Precious minerals such as gold and silver can be recovered from the sludge
To access more topics go to the Combined Science Notes page.