ZIMSEC O Level Combined Science Notes:Purification of copper using electrolysis
- The impure copper (blister copper) yielded from the converter
- Is then molded into thick sheets
- These sheets become positive plates i.e.
- they are connected on the positive side of a electrolytic cell
- The positive side are also known as anodes in an electrolytic cell
- A thin sheet if very pure copper is used as the cathode
- This is the negative side of the electrolytic cell
- The electrolyte (liquid) is copper sulphate solution
- A current is then passed through the cell
- Copper is transferred from the anode to the cathode
- Insoluble impurities from the anode form a sludge at the bottom of the cell
- Precious minerals such as gold and silver can be recovered from the sludge
To access more topics go to the Combined Science Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.