ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes: Settlements:Possible solutions to Urbanisation problems
- Most LEDCs such as Zimbabwe struggle with urbanisation problems
- This is because most countries cannot cope with the rapid rate of urbanisation
- as the rate of industrialization and economic growth is outpaced by the rate of urbanisation
- Certain measures and solutions can be implemented to try and solve the urbanisation problems
- These include:
- Developing rural areas by providing rural areas with agricultural inputs such as fertilizer
- This improves the productivity of the land and reduces pressure on resources
- Decentralising some industries to rural areas
- This can be done by implementing policies that favour industries that locate in remote areas
- The creation of Growth Points
- Introducing income generating projects in rural areas for example broiler and layer projects
- Reducing the birth rates in both rural and urban areas
- This can be done by say for example introducing family planning programs
- Increased investments in both rural and urban areas
- Investments in the former will enable cities and towns to be able to cope with the increasing populations
- The latter dissuades people from migrating to urban areas by negating some of the pull factors of relocating to towns
- Land redistribution in rural areas
- Availing people to affordable housing in urban areas for example through council housing projects
- Skills training programs to promote entrepreneurship and subsequently creating more employment opportunities.
To access more topics go to the Geography Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.