ZIMSEC O Level Computer Science Notes: Software: Operating System
- An operating system, or “OS,” is software that communicates with the hardware and allows other programs to run.
- It consists of system software, or the fundamental files your computer needs to boot up and function.
- Every desktop computer, tablet, and smartphone includes an operating system that provides basic functionality for the device.
- An operating system is the most important software that runs on a computer or handheld devices.
- It manages the computer’s memory and processes, as well as all of its software and hardware.
- It also allows you to communicate with the computer without knowing how to speak the computer’s language. Without an operating system, a computer is useless.
- The OS is a set of programs designed to run in the background on a computer system and provide an environment in which application software can be executed.
- Operating systems are classified as either:
- Personal computer operating system or
- Mobile device operating system.
To access more topics go to the O Level Computer Science Notes page
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.