ZIMSEC O Level Computer Science Notes: Software: Operating System
- An operating system, or “OS,” is software that communicates with the hardware and allows other programs to run.
- It consists of system software, or the fundamental files your computer needs to boot up and function.
- Every desktop computer, tablet, and smartphone includes an operating system that provides basic functionality for the device.
- An operating system is the most important software that runs on a computer or handheld devices.
- It manages the computer’s memory and processes, as well as all of its software and hardware.
- It also allows you to communicate with the computer without knowing how to speak the computer’s language. Without an operating system, a computer is useless.
- The OS is a set of programs designed to run in the background on a computer system and provide an environment in which application software can be executed.
- Operating systems are classified as either:
- Personal computer operating system or
- Mobile device operating system.
To access more topics go to the O Level Computer Science Notes page
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, chat with us using the chat feature at the bottom right of this screen