ZIMSEC O Level Combined Science Notes: Nutrition
- Nutrition is that branch of science that deals with nutrients and nutrition especially in humans
- It is concerned with ensuring that humans are eating foods that provide necessary nutrients for health and growth
- Nutrients are substances found in food that are necessary for humans to live,
- They ensure a healthy growth, development and functioning of the human body.
- Animals, including humans require a balanced diet which has the correct proportions of the right kinds of foods and nutrients
- A balanced diet contains the right quality and quantity of food.
- The usual components of a balanced diet is made up of:
- Fats, carbohydrates, proteins, minerals and vitamins, water and fibre.
- Thus a balanced diet is a diet that contains the proper proportions of carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, minerals, and water necessary to maintain good health.
To access more topics go to the Combined Science Notes page.