ZIMSEC SCHOOL EXAMINATIONS COUNCIL
General Certificate of Education Advanced Level
BUSINESS STUDIES 9891/1
NOVEMBER 2012 SESSION 3 hours
TIME 3 hours
INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES
- Answer all questions in Section A and any three in Section B.
- Write your answers on a separate answer paper.
INFORMATION FOR CANDIDATES
- The number of marks is given in brackets
Section A: Data response [25 Marks]
Answer all questions
Read the passage below and answer the questions that follow.
Blue Collar Clothing Company
Bluecollar, a company formed five years ago, is in the business of manufacturing clothes and clothing materials. The company’s customers are mainly retail outlets and other clothing manufacturers. Of late the company has been doing well but because of intense pressure from competition, management has decided to expand the company’s operations.
Management has two options from which to select the course of action to follow in their pursuance of growth. In addition to monitoring the ever-changing business environment, they will have to decide on the most cost effective and profitable option.
The first option is to diversify into the production of quality footwear.
The company may have to buy or lease buildings and machinery for the new venture. The Operations Manager has provided the Managing Director with the following figures for considering.
Fixed Costs $753 750 per month
Raw materials per pair $2 300
Direct Labour per pair $1 800
Production at full capacity 603 pairs per month
Selling Price $6 350 per pair
The second option is to merge with a clothing retail chain that has a 40 % market share and is regarded as one of the biggest clothing companies in the country.
1 (a) Explain the meaning of the following terms as they are used in the passage:
(i) diversify.  (ii) market share  (b) In June 2003, the company decided to produce footwear at full capacity.
(i) the contribution per pair  (ii) the break even point for the month in units.  (iii) the margin of safety  (iv) the net profit for June 2003.  (c) Evaluate the costs and benefits of each option. 
Section B: Essays [75 Marks]
2. (a) Why is it important for businesses to plan?  (b) Explain the concept of management by objectives and discuss its importance to business organisations.  3. (a) Discuss the contribution made by economies of scale to an organisation of your choice.  (b) Explain how and why the government of Zimbabwe might influence the growth of businesses.  4. (a) Evaluate any two investment appraisal methods that can be used by a financial manager.  (b) Why should managers not rely on quantitative information only? 
5. A newly appointed Personnel Manager has announced that there is a bad industrial relations within the business organisation.
(a) Discuss the symptoms he might have observed before making the announcement.  (b) If you were part of the management team, how would you try to promote good industrial relations within the organisation? 
6. Evaluate the contribution made by branding and packaging to an organisation’s marketing effort. 
7. Evaluate the contribution made by early management theorists to modern day management approaches. 
8. Explain, with the aid of an appropriate diagram, how a decision tree can be used in decision making. How useful is such a model to managers? 
9. Assess the contribution made by a work study programme to a manufacturer of shoes. 
10. (a) ” A balance sheet reflects a true and fair worth of a business at a given date.”
To what extent is this statement true?  (b) With the aid of examples, explain how each of the following would affect the reported profits of a business:
(i) The first-in-first-out (FIFO) method of stock valuation,  (ii) The straight line and diminishing balance methods of depreciation. 
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.