ZIMSEC O Level Commerce Notes: Transport: Modes of transport: Sea
- Is cheap.
- Suitable for:
- bulky cargo e.g. crude oil.
- Heavy goods e.g. mineral ores.
- Mixed cargo i.e. different goods.
- Different types and sizes of ships are available.
- Special vessels for special cargo ie. Refrigerated ships and tankers.
- They carry containers.
- Can be re-routed easily.
- There is no need to construct a route.
- Are a slow mode of transport.
- The use of cranes and fork-lifts results in:
- high cost of loading and unloading.
- Unemployment as less stevedores are engaged.
- There is need for special packaging as goods can deteriorate if exposed to the salty water of the sea.
- Harbours, docks, quays and ports are expensive to construct.
- Various levies are charged e.g. wharfage, dock,warehousing and harbour costs.
To access more topics go to the Commerce Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.