ZIMSEC O Level Business Studies Notes: Managing Human Resources: Human Resources Management: On the job training methods
- this is when instruction and training is provided during the work itself
- There are a number of on the job training methods:
- Demonstration-a practical exhibition and explanation of how something works or is performed
- Coaching-involves focusing on the individual trainee’s needs, observing their performance and giving back impartial judgement and feedback on how they are performing and can improve. It is popular in sports e.g. football
- Do it yourself training– this is when the employee is left on to fend for themselves and figure out the aspects of the job.
- This is highly inefficient and wasteful as it can result in costly mistakes being made
- Job rotation-this is when an employee is moved from post to post, station to station with the objective being to expose the employee to different experiences and wider variety of skills to enhance job satisfaction and to cross-train them.
- Technology based training– is when technology such as simulations is used to train the employee for example pilots train in a flight simulator before flying an actual plane.
- Internship/Assistant– is when an employee works under the tutelage of a more experienced employee and laerns from them during the process
- Job instructions-is when employees work under the watchful eye of an instructor who tells them what to do and corrects them when they make mistakes. This is used in training soldiers for example
Advantages of on the job training
- There is minimal impact on productivity as there is no downtime during training
- Employees are immediately productive
- Generally cost effective
- Is realistic and applicable
- Eliminates oversight in the training material
- Is much more simple and easy to understand
Disadvantages of on the job training
- Bad habits can be passed on from the trainer to trainee
- A familiar environment may make it harder to concentrate
- Trainees can make costly or even fatal mistakes
- Disrupts the smooth flow of work
To access more topics go to the O Level Business Notes
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.