ZIMSEC O Level Combined Science Notes: Health and well being
- Health is the absence of disease
- It is a state of being physically and psychologically well.
- A person is said to be healthy if they meet the above criteria
- Most people are usually healthy most of the time.
- Sometimes people get sick if they are infected by pathogens
- A pathogen is a disease-causing organism
- People can be unhealthy even if they do not have a disease
- A healthy persons feels good, is mentally healthy, do not suffer from depression or nervous problems
- Human beings are social animals who need to feel like a part of a social group
- There are several ways in which a complete state of health can be maintained:
- Eating a balanced diet and drinking enough fluids
The body needs a wide variety of nutrients in order to maintain bodily functions
vitamins and minerals are required for repairs and maintenance in the body
- Regular exercises allows the structures in the body to use nutrients effectively.
Maintaining a good physical health helps with mental and social health
- Making the right choices in society-people who choose to use drugs and adopt anti-social behavior suffer may suffer from a deteriorating mental state. They may have feelings of guilt, greed or act aggressively towards others.
- A healthy community is one in which the members behave responsibly
- Individuals act in ways that benefit everyone and not just themselves.
- Well being results from people making the right physical, mental and social choices in health terms.
- They protect their health as well as that of others.
To access more topics go to the Combined Science Notes page.