ZIMSEC O Level Business Studies Notes: Communication: Free Market Economy
• All the resources (factors of production) are owned by private individuals.
• Profit is the main motive of all business.
• There is little or no government interference in business activities.
• Producers are free to produce how much they want, for whomever they want.
• Consumers are free to choose between different brands of the same product.
• Prices are determined by the market mechanism of supply and demand.
• Businesses are free to enter the market.
• There are no countries with a free market economy but the economies of the United States and Japan are close.
• A free market economy responds quickly to the needs are wants of customers.
• A wide variety of products gives an opportunity for people to choose from.
• There is an efficient use of resources.
• Some goods and services may not be produced for example public goods
• Unemployment may result since only those with skills that are in demand are actively employed.
• Social costs such as pollution can be ignored
• Duplication of resources.
• Unequal distribution of wealth.
To access more topics go to the Business Studies Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, chat with us using the chat feature at the bottom right of this screen