ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes: Natural Resources: Fishing: Fish processing and marketing
- Subsistence and commercial fishers employ more or less the same processing methods.
- The high tropical temperatures mean that fish go bad very quickly after being landed from the lakes rivers and swamps.
- Small fish like the matemba/kapenta are sun dried on drying platforms before marketing.
- The large fish such as the chambo and mlambo are opened up, cleaned and salted before either being sun dried or smoked.
- Fresh fish are sold to the local markets.
- The commercial fishing companies use refrigerated vans to transport fresh fish to the market.
- Subsistence fisheries buy ice from a small plant at Mangochi.
- Commercial catches are landed at fishing ports like Likoma island before they are dispatched to local markets in town.
- The town of Limbe near Blantyre has a small refrigeration plant for storing fish.
- Some of the fish are exported to other SADC countries like Mozambique, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
To access more topics go to the O Level Geography Notes page
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, chat with us using the chat feature at the bottom right of this screen