ZIMSEC O Level Combined Science Notes: Experiment: Testing the physical properties of metals and non-metals
Aim:To examine the physical properties of metals and non-metals
Materials: aluminium foil, carbon rod taken from a torch cell, copper foil, gas jars of oxygen, hydrogen; sulpher, magnesium ribbon, zinc, iron nail, sandpaper, burner, three 1.5v cells, connecting wires, lamp.
- Examine each element taking note of its colour, malleability. Use sand paper to clean the materials before looking at them
- Set up a circuit as shown in the diagram above
- Test the conductivity of each material
- The metals are shiny/Have a lustre after they are cleaned
- The non metals are dull in appearance
- The metals conduct heat and electricity well
To access more topics go to the Combined Science Notes page.