ZIMSEC O Level Combined Science Notes: Experiment: to show the cooling effect of vaporizing ether
Materials: ether, glass tube, small wooden block, glass beaker
- Place a small beaker over a few drops of water on a wooden block
- Pour about 10 cubic centimeters of ether into a baker and blow into it using a glass tube
- This encourages the ether to evaporate
- After a few minutes pick up the beaker
Observation and results
- The water forms an ice crust beneath the beaker
- The drops of water turn into ice
- This is because the ether requires latent in order to turn to gas form
- The ether takes up heat from the surrounding environment
- This concept is used in refrigerators
To access more topics go to the Combined Science Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.