ZIMSEC O Level Geography Notes: Natural Resources: Energy:Energy resources of Africa
- Electricity is generated from two major processes, thermal and hydro.
- The thermal component includes petroleum on top of coal for a number of countries such as Egypt, Algeria, Nigeria and Libya.
- For other countries the dominance of HEP is attributed to the presence of large rivers and suitable sites where to build the HEP schemes.
- Generally, Africa is endowed with large rivers such as the Congo, the Nile, The Niger and the Zambezi.
- These rivers have a very large potential to produce HEP but this has not been realized because of the low demand of energy on the continent.
- The low levels of industrialization and urbanization and low levels of economic performance and general poverty by governments and rural people (shortage of capital) have also contributed.
- The north relies mainly on oil and natural gas as major sources of thermal energy because of their availability.
- The South uses coal also because of its geological availability.
To access more topics go to the O Level Geography Notes page
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.