ZIMSEC O Level Combined Science Notes: Electrical safety
- Electrical safety is important as electric shocks can be lethal and improper use of electricity can result in fires
- The following precautions can be taken when using electricity:
- Wearing rubber soled shoes when ironing or using electrical appliances such as stoves etc to reduce the danger of being electrocuted
- Heater/Irons or other appliances that draw a lot of power should be connected to overhead sockets which are meant for bulbs as they draw a lot of power
- This could result in the sockets overheating and catching fire
- The proper wires must be used for each appliance.
- Using wires that are too thing/small for high power appliances can result in them overheating and catching fire
- Appliances must not be used in damp conditions
- Too many appliances must not be plugged into the same socket
- Three pin plugs must be used wherever possible
- Appliances and electrical installations must be earthed
- The correct fuse must be used when connecting appliances
To access more topics go to the Combined Science Notes page.