ZIMSEC O Level Commerce Notes: Retail Trade: E-commerce
- It is a system of buying and selling goods and services electronically.
- The system operates through a computer connected to the internet or a television which has satellite connections. The products sold should be:
- fully described
- in picture form
- individually priced
- The customer does the shopping in the comfort of his or her home, selects goods using the product codes and places the order electronically.
- When making payment the customer provides the following details electronically:
- customer’s name and address and account number or credit card number
- choice of delivery that is COD mail or personal
- Date of delivery
- terms of payment
- Total purchasing price is displayed on the screen for the customer.
- Payment can be done through credit cards, Cash On Delivery (COD) or direct debit. Delivery of goods is by mail, courier services, or personal.
- The system does not require cash payments. It reduces paperwork for the retailer and travelling expenses for customers. The electronic shop is open for 24 hours.
Disadvantages of e-commerce
- leads to impulse buying and overspending
- at times the pictures may not show the true quality of the items
- lacks personal touch
To access more topics go to the Commerce Notes page.