ZIMSEC O Level Combined Science Notes: Deficiency Diseases
- A person might suffer from a deficiency disease if their diet lacks certain essential minerals and vitamins
- Two essential minerals and vitamins are:
- Iodine and
- Is a naturally occurring mineral element
- However some people do not get it in enough quantities naturally
- Iodine is required by the thyroid gland found in the neck
- As part of the body’s metabolism in order to make a substance known as thyroxine which regulates growth and development
Symptoms of iodine deficiency
- In children there might be stunted physical and mental growth
- Adults might develop a goitre
- A goitre is a swelling of the thyroid gland.
- In children mental development might slow down their physical and mental development
- Resulting in children referred to as cretins
Overcoming iodine deficiency
- This can be overcome by using iodised salt
- Is found in foods like fresh vegetables and liver
Symptoms of Vitamin A deficiency
- Poor development of the trachea lining
- This results in opportunistic infections of the trachea and bronchi
- Poor night vision/Night blindness
Overcoming the deficiency
- Eating food rich in vitamin A
- Such foods include dairy produce (cheese, milk, ice cream etc), carrots, cabbage and tomatoes
NB All these deficiency symptoms and others can be avoided by eating a balanced diet.
To access more topics go to the Combined Science Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.