ZIMSEC O Level Commerce Notes: Advertising: Code of advertising practice
Code of advertising practice
- It establishes basic standards of advertising.
- It ensures that advertisements are:
- legal i.e. they follow the set advertising laws and metes sets out the punishments for transgressors.
- Ethical i.e. are they realistic and do they adhere to the norms of society e.g. racists advertisements are not allowed.
- Moral ie. Advertisements must be according to the values of society e.g. they cannot promote adulterous relationships.
- Not misleading i.e. they do not contain untrue statements e.g. “These herbs cure everything including cancer.”
- decent i.e. they do not show indecent or naked people.
- Truthful i.e. they do not make any untruthful assertions about the product or other competing products.
- It guards against disparaging advertising i.e. when advertisers make negative assertions against other products.
- It ensures there is fair competition among producers.
To access more topics go to the Commerce Notes page.