ZIMSEC O Level Combined Science Notes: Coal fuel
- Coal is a common solid fuel
- It is a non-renewable resource
- It is used as a raw material by industries such as at ZISCO and less commonly as a domestic source of fuel
- Coal was formed by the compacting under pressure large quantities of tropical vegetation that existed about 200 million years ago
- Trees, ferns, weeds and grasses grew near shallow fresh water lakes
- As the plants on the edges of the lakes died they became submerged into the water
- A very slow bacterial process took place and peat was formed
- The pressure of sediment layers deposited on top of these layers peat layers compacted the layers into bituminous coal
- In Zimbabwe most of the coal is mined at Hwange
- Other coal deposits are found at Lumbimbi, Beitbridge, Pehnalonga, Gokwe and near Triangle
- All of Zimbabwe’s coal deposits are bituminous
- This type of coal is ideal for steam raising and making coke
To access more topics go to the Combined Science Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.