ZIMSEC O Level Biology Notes:Properties and Biological significance of water
Property: Transport medium
- Water is a neutral liquid medium because it has a pH of 7.
Biological role of this property
- Water’s solvent properties also mean that it acts as a transport medium in the blood transporting cells, lymphatic and excretory system, the alimentary canal and in the xylem and phloem.
Property: High heat capacity
- Water has a high heat capacity of 4 200 J.
- This means that a large increase in heat energy results in a relatively small rise in temperature.
- This is because much of the energy is used in breaking the hydrogen bonds which restrict the mobility of the molecules.
- Therefore temperature changes of water are minimized as a result of its high heat capacity.
- It makes it easier to achieve a stable body temperature.
To access more topics go to the O Level Biology Notes page