ZIMSEC O Level Biology Notes:Properties and Biological significance of water
Property: High surface tension and cohesion (adhesion and cohesion)
- Cohesion is the force whereby individual molecules stick together.
- Adhesion is the force whereby water molecules stick to other surfaces.
- Cohesion helps water to move as an unbroken column in the xylem tubes in plants.
- Adhesion helps the water to stick to the inside of the vascular bundle.
- High surface tension resulting from high cohesion forces enable small organisms such as insects to skate the surface of the water.
Property: Water as a reagent
- Water is biologically significant as an essential metabolite, that is, it participates in the chemical reactions of metabolism.
- For example water is used as a source of hydrogen in photosynthesis and in hydrolysis reactions, condensation and respiration.
To access more topics go to the O Level Biology Notes page
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, chat with us using the chat feature at the bottom right of this screen