ZIMSEC O Level History Notes: Dictatorship in Europe: Dictatorship in Italy: Benito Mussolini: Mussolini’s Domestic Policy and Achievements
- Employment creation through the public works and other employment schemes in the army and in industries.
- Transport and communications were improved through the construction of roads and railway lines.
- Mussolini was able to restore order in Italy preventing things like the seizure of property and the destructive strikes.
- Hydro-power was developed.
- Pensions schemes, social security and compensation for workers were introduced.
- Schools were constructed and education was made compulsory.
- There was peace and unity between the Church and State following the Lateran Accords.
- Inflation declined.
- Promotion of health, for example malaria cases declined significantly.
- The battle of grain increased grain production cutting the wheat imports on which Italy had hitherto depended.
- Mussolini provided security to the industries, middle class and land owners by banning socialist and communist parties.
To access more topics go to the History Notes page.