ZIMSEC O Level History Notes: South Africa 1867 – 1910: The Discovery of Gold
- Gold was discovered in 1884 in the Witwatersrand area but was under utilized
- It was discovered by Jan Gerrit Bantjes on a farm called Vogelstruisfontein in June 1884 and then by the Struben brothers who discovered the Confidence Reef on Wilgespruit farm
- Gold transformed the lives of the Southern African residents and it had been argued that if it had not been discovered, the fate of Southern might have been different
- Large deposits were later discovered in Griqualand West
- The Witwatersrand has larger gold deposits than any other field ever
- The discovery of gold changed South African economy to from agriculture to mining and it became the world’s largest gold producer
- Gold increased trade relations of South Africa with other countries
- First gold mining expedition quickly ended because the gold could no longer be dug by a pick and shovel as it was now located further from the surface
- Fortune hunters began to flock to South Africa with two settling at a farm called Langlaagte in 1886
- Consolidation was the best available option, and instead of complete consolidation, miners joined into several groups and began mining the gold
- Co-operation with other groups was then a necessity so as to influence the government and wages paid in the mining sector
- Almost all groups joined the Chamber of Mines by the early 1890s to speak with one voice
To access more topics go to the History Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.