ZIMSEC O Level Combined Science Notes: Reproduction in plants: Reproduction in Plants:Development after fertilization
- Once the ovules inside the ovary have been fertilized a lot of changes takes place
- The fertilized ovules develop into seeds inside the ovary
- The ovary ripens into a fruit which is adapted for dispersal
- That is the fruit is spread or carried into new areas either by wind or animals
- This is important as it ensures the plant survives and continues to thrive
- There are many different kinds of fruits for example mangoes, guavas etc
- Another change is that during the development of seeds inside the fruit the flower dries up and some parts of it fall off.
- The developing seeds swell up with food brought from the leaves in the vascular tissue
- The food is stored in the seed until it is needed for germination
- The fruit ripens in preparation for dispersal
To access more topics go to the Combined Science Notes page.