ZIMSEC O Level History Notes: Mutapa State:Did the people of the Mutapa state benefit from the expansion of the state?
The expansion of the Mutapa state brought with it some benefits including:
- Trade items from the conquered lands.
- The people and chiefdoms of the conquered state paid tribute to the king who redistributed this wealth to the people during times of drought.
- The state obtained new land for cultivation.
- New mining concerns were found within the conquered lands.
- These minerals were traded with the Portuguese who came into contact with the Mutapa because of the size of the state.
- Gained more pastureland for their animals.
- Gained more hunting grounds which mean more ivory and meat.
However the expansion also had its own drawbacks including:
- The vast size of the state and paired with poor communication systems led to failure of the state as breakaway factions emerged.
- Some vassal chiefs rebelled against the Mutapa and refused to pay tribute.
- During succession disputes factions fought in civil wars as chiefs and sub-rulers chose sides.
To access more topics go to the History Notes page.