ZIMSEC O Level Commerce Notes: Partnership Features
- Is formed by written or verbal agreement between partners.
- They are formed by 2-10 partners.
- Professionals such as lawyers, doctors and accountants can form partnerships of 2 to unlimited members as they are not allowed to form limited liability companies.
- Has fewer legal formalities.
- Requires a trading licence.
- Is governed by the Partnership Act or a where it exists a Partnership Deed.
- It is jointly owned and controlled by the partners
- Active partners control the business’s day to day operations.
- Sleeping partners contribute capital only and do not manage the business.
- Decisions made by one partner are binding on all the other partners.
- The liability of the partners is usually unlimited.
- General partners have unlimited liability.
- Limited partners have limited liability.
- Profits and losses are shared either equally or according to the provisions of the Partnership Deed.
Types of partners
- All partners have unlimited liability of the partnership’s debts which means that they can lose their own personal property in settlement of partnership debts.
- Active partners take part in the day to day running of the business.
Limited liability partnership
- Limited liability and sleeping/dormant partners:
- contribute capital only.
- Enjoy limited liability.
- Do not take part in the day to day running of the business.
- The Partnership Act requires that at least one of the partners in a Limited Liability partnership should have unlimited liability:
- The active partner must run the business on a daily basis.
- Bear the unlimited liability.
Sources of capital
- From their own personal savings.
- From family and friends.
- Loans and overdrafts from commercial banks.
- Mortgage loans from Building Societies.
- Retained Earnings.
- Hire Purchase buying.
- Leasing of fixed assets.
- Purchasing goods for resale on credit.
To access more topics go to the Commerce Notes page.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.