ZIMSEC O Level Biology Notes: Properties and Biological significance of water
Property: High heat of vaporization
- This is a measure of the heat energy required to vaporize a liquid to overcome the attractive forces between its molecules so that they can escape as a gas.
- A relatively large amount of energy is needed to vaporize water.
- This is due to the hydrogen bonding.
- The energy imparted to water molecules to vaporize them thus results in loss of energy from their surroundings.
- Thus a cooling effect occurs.
- This is made use in sweating and when dogs are panting.
Biological role: enables aquatic plants to photosynthesize.
To access more topics go to the O Level Biology Notes page
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, chat with us using the chat feature at the bottom right of this screen